Buy Dress Making Fabric Online - Australia
If you love to sew, you’re aware of the vast selection of fabrics available and how difficult it can be to choose just one for your latest project. Most people are attracted first to the patterns and colour of the fabric, but the appearance is just one factor. Other things to consider include how easy the fabric is to work with, how it will feel against your skin, and how well it drapes against your body. Many fabrics are suitable for dress making such as cotton, linen, silk, polyester, acrylic, and more. However, some of these are more desirable than others when it comes to specific projects. Some important things to keep in mind when buying dress making fabric include:
- Quality: Your finished garment will be only as good as the quality of the fabric. Make sure you choose high-quality material that will hold up to sewing and last for a long time.
- Colour fast: Check the fabric for spots, streaks, or other evidence of uneven dyeing. Avoid fabric with light spots (unless it is part of the design) as this may indicate that the fabric will fade when you wash it.
- Suitability: It may seem obvious, but you have to make sure you are buying a fabric that’s suitable for the garment you want to make. For example, you can’t make a swimsuit out of wool.
- Occasion: Think about where you’ll be wearing the garment – both the occasion and the location. Make sure the fabric is warm enough or cool enough depending on the weather, and elegant or casual enough for the occasion.
- Shrinkage: Most fabrics will shrink, but some shrink differently than others. It’s a good idea to buy a little more fabric than you think you’ll need to account for shrinkage.
Best fabrics for different garments
When you’re buying dress fabric online, consider what type of garment you’re making and who you are making it for. Here are some of the best choices for different projects:
- Pants: Fabrics that are not too rigid such as wool, linen, denim, or corduroy
- Skirts: Lightweight cotton, silk jersey, viscose, and microfiber are good choices
- Jackets: Wool, linen, flannel, lightweight knits
- Dresses: Silk, satin, velvet, taffeta, organza, lace, or even cotton depending on the style of dress
- Shirts and blouses: Lightweight cotton, seersucker, poplin, linen, silk, and more
- Kids’ clothing: Cotton and knit fabrics
Where to buy dress fabric online
There’s no one right answer when you’re trying to choose dress making fabric in Australia. At Emerald Fabric Boutique, we are your go-to source for dress fabric in Australia. It’s important to buy the best quality you can find when it comes to fabric for making clothes, and we offer a wide variety of high-quality fabrics for all your sewing needs. The right fabric makes all the difference in the results you’ll achieve, so when you’re ready to buy dress fabric online, contact Emerald Fabric Boutique and get ready to fall in love with sewing all over again.